Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 71


March 21, 2012

Feliz Cumpleaños a Sara (that’s what my community calls me). I just had the largest birthday party of my life. I got to the school today in the late morning, after I relaxed and finished up my laundry. All the kids sang to me, in English and Spanish. It was really sweet. Each kid made a point to come up to me individually and wish me a happy birthday.

After school, the whole town came and threw a huge party for me. There must have been more than a hundred people there. Several people gave speeches, and then I had to give one (of course). They made arroz con pollo; we had two huge cakes; and we finished up the party with a piñata.

I headed home after the party, wiped out. But my family had a cake ready for me when I got home. Everyone around the house came to the rancho to sing to me again and enjoy some more cake.
I would say it was a pretty good day. I don’t know how I’ll every get used to boring, American birthdays after this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment