Friday, January 6, 2012

Just About Ready


Believe it or not, but just about all of this stuff fit into a rolling duffel bag (thanks Granddad and Gaga) and a backpacking backpack along with a small day backpack as my carry on, which meet PC size standards. We (volunteers) are suppose to be able to carry all our stuff ourselves as well. So, I can carry it--depending on how far I am expected to walk with it. 

My packing list includes:
  • Clothes: jeans, cargo pants, "conservative work shirts," lots of new undies (I read they are hard to come by in Panama, so I stocked up), some t-shirts and scarves (mostly for sun protection)
  • I brought a bunch of shoes: 1 tennis, 1 nice dress sandal, 1 flip flop, 1 teva like sandal
  • A start up supply of toiletries, including a years worth of contact lenses (don't tell, we aren't allowed to wear contact as PCV). I did bring 4 pairs of glasses just in case, 30 bucks well spent--shout out to zenni optical, I now have a pair to match each of my outfits!
  • 2 dry bags and silica packs (I hope will help protect electronics from the humidity)
  • Several flashlights
  • Ipod
  • Kindle full of book--thanks Jason, Mom and Dad
  • Pics of fam and friends
  • Quick dry towel
  • Regular towel
  • Umbrella and rain coat--we'll see which works better during the 8 month rainy season
  • Watch-haven't worn one of those in a while
  • Duct tape--read on another blog that it comes in handy
  • Sewing kit
  • AND of course, FRIENDS on DVD-the PC encouraged bring a "comfort" item like knitting needles or a guitar or something that will help with your acclamation to a new country. Well, as a Mack, nothing is more comforting than watching Friends over and over again. Long live Friend's references!! 

Alas, there was one thing I just didn't have enough room for, so after much deliberation--I had to leave it behind...



Just joking. It wasn't too hard to let go of, and now I will be a lot cooler in the 90 degree weather. 


Last weekend stateside! Woohoo

2 comments:

  1. I made a similar packing decision to your last one- it's weird having so much less weight! 4 days to Miami!
    -Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you, have fun & be careful!
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete